Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
Sweet And Delicious Dairy-free and Eggless Shortcakes
This Vegan Strawberry Shortcake recipe is easy. Just through it all together and cut out into round biscuits or spoon drop them onto a cookie sheet. Perfect to bake ahead of time before company comes or to bring to a party and assemble the strawberry shortcakes there. Top it off with a creamy vegan coconut whip cream or vanilla vegan ice cream, and you have yourself a delicious summertime fun dessert. This is a dessert the whole family will love so you might want to make a double batch of shortcake biscuits.
How To Make Vegan Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits
I have made these Vegan Strawberry Shortcake biscuits in a variety of ways. You can make them with millet flour or oat flour. I have found that the oat flour biscuits have to be mixed with another flour. They come out very doughy with just the oat flour. So I recommend using another flour 50/50 with the oat flour if you want a low gluten or gluten free biscuit. As for this recipe I am using organic white flour. Definitely not gluten free! I really am old fashion at heart because I miss my mothers biscuits for strawberry shortcake. Mine have more of a vanilla taste and a little sweeter but it is close enough for me and I really love these shortcakes.
These shortcakes can be mixed together and rolled out on a floured surface to about 3/4 of an inch thick. Then cut them out with a round 2 1/2 inch to 3 inch cut out. If you are looking for a quicker way to make these just spoon drop them all to about the same size on the cookie sheet. Then you can press them down to flatten them with your fingers to about 3/4 of an inch thick( like the second photo below when I made millet and oat shortcake biscuits). It all depends what you have time for or how you like them to look.
Just remember that if you are using self rising flour that the all-purpose flour already has a little baking soda and baking powder in it. This recipe is made with just regular organic white flour. So, if you use an all-purpose flour just remember your biscuits will rise even bigger then the photo above. Thats if you add extra baking powder and baking soda. Just be mindful of that. A lot of people don’t know that.
Cook these biscuits at 425 degrees for 10 minutes or until the tops slightly turn brown.
How To Make Coconut Whip Cream For Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
The trick to really good coconut whip cream is taking the can of full fat coconut cream and put it in the refrigerator. Turn the can upside down. This makes the liquid settle at the top when you turn it back over and then you can drain the liquid out easily the next day.
In this recipe I used an electric hand mixer but I have used blenders as well. It is just a little harder to get it out of the blender. I do find that it comes out more creamy with the blender.
When making the coconut whipped cream just make sure to not get any liquid from the coconut cream in it (well as best as you can). I know this isn’t easy some times but it makes for a better cream to not have the liquid in there. Then add your confectionery sugar and vanilla extract. If you know of anything else that works like confectionery sugar that is not grainy or liquid than I would love to know. Or, you can substitute any sugar powder you know of that you like. I don’t like using confectionery sugar, although this recipe is only 1/4 of a cup. But! For now this is how I make my coconut whip cream.
How To Pick and Clean Strawberries For Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
Strawberries are in season right now and they taste amazing. I bought some twice this week at our local you pick farmers. There is nothing quite like fresh strawberries. They are so robust and bursting in flavor.
First of all I try to find the freshest strawberries that I can find. If you are going to eat them right away then I wash them under cool water. I let them drain really well or you can put them on a couple of paper towels. Then I cut off the green tops and any bad spots with a small paring knife.
Put them in a bowl and cut them into small bite size pieces. This is where I just add agave nectar instead of making melted sugar syrup. I find that the agave works very well in this recipe. Mix it all together and it is ready.
Assembling Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
First of all if my biscuits are hot out of the oven I will jump on making them as soon as they come out. I love the biscuits hot. I slice them in half with a sharp knife. Be careful not to go to fast because they can crumble a little.
In a small bowl or plate I put the bottom part of the biscuit. Then cover it with some of the fresh cut strawberries in agave sweetener. Top it with coconut whip cream and top it with the other top of the biscuit. You can leave it like this or add more strawberry mixture on top.
Another way is to put the bottom sliced biscuit on a small plate or small bowl. Then top it with some of the fresh sweet strawberry mixture and put a scoop of vanilla vegan ice cream on top. Put the top to the side of the bowl or plate and add a lot of strawberries on top of the ice cream. Make sure to get all the syrup onto the ice cream.
This has always been one of my summertime favorite desserts. It is so refreshing and creamy. How can you not love it? I will be making more shortcakes in the future. Stay tuned! I hope you like this recipe as much as we do. Enjoy!
Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
- 3 Medium mixing bowls, for biscuit mixture, for strawberries and coconut whip cream
- 1 Mixing spoon
- 1 Cookie sheet
- 1 Spatula
- 1 Small paring knife
- 1 2½ to 3 inch round biscuit cutter, optional
- 1 Electric hand mixer or blender
- 1 Scraper
Vegan Shortcake Biscuit
- 2 cups Organic White Flour
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil
- ¾ cup Coconut Milk, Oat Milk or Almond Milk
- 2½ Tbsp Agave Sweetener
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ⅛ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 can Full Fat Coconut Cream
- ¼ cup Confectionery Sugar, sifted
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
Strawberries for Shortcake
- 1 pint Fresh Organic Strawberries, washed and cleaned
- 3 Tbsp Agave Nectar
Vegan Shortcake Biscuits
- Put the can of full fat coconut cream in the refrigerator upside down the day before making 24 hour in advance is best or at least 5 hours.
- Heat oven to 425°
- In a bowl mix together all the powder ingredients and stir it together well. Create a well in the middle of the mixed flour ingredients. Add the plant based milk, agave syrup and vanilla extract all into the well. Mix all together with a large stirring spoon.
- If you choose to drop by spoon full method onto cookie sheet then drop a large dollop of batter onto the sheet (about a large spoon full) Should make 9 biscuits. Shape biscuits round with clean hands and press the top down with your fingers to about ¾ of an inch thick. Cook for 10 minute in oven. Watch so not to burn. The biscuits should be slightly brown in color on top when done.
- If you are doing the cut out method then flour a clean surface with flour and roll out the dough with a rolling pin. Roll to about ¾ of an inch thick. Cut out with round 2½ to 3 inch biscuit cutter. Place the cut out biscuits onto a cookie sheet and place in the oven for 10 minutes. Watch so not to burn. The biscuits should be slightly brown in color on top when done.
Coconut Whip Cream
- Take the refrigerated full fat coconut cream out of the refrigerator and open. Open the top and drain out as much of the liquid as you can. The less liquid the thicker it will be. Put the coconut cream in a medium bowl and whip it with an electric hand mixer or put in a blender. Add the confectionery sugar and vanilla extract. If you are using a hand mixer smash down the cream with the mixer ends before starting it up. This stops it from flying all over. Mix until creamy. It should take a couple of minutes.
- When done take out and put into a small bowl and put in the refrigerator to stay cool and firm.
Strawberries For Shortcake
- Wash the strawberries under cool water and put onto a towel or paper towels to dry a little. Then cut off the tops and any bad mushy parts off the the strawberries. Chop them into small bite size pieces. Put them in a medium bowl and add the agave sweetener to them. Stir together. It is ready to serve.
- Construct your shortcakes together.
- Slice the shortcake biscuit in half and put the bottom side on a small serving bowl or plate. Add some of the strawberry mixture and top with either the coconut whip cream or your favorite vegan vanilla ice cream or both. Top with the top of the biscuit and add more strawberries or keep it open faced and serve that way.