Vegan Coconut Rum Cake
Super Moist and Delicious Cake
This Vegan Coconut Rum Cake rocks out the dessert world on taking center stage for being perfect in every way. This cake is eggless, dairy free and half the amount of sugar than most rum cakes. The dark black strap rum powers this cake with its own sugar and tones of flavor. This cake does take on the alcohol of the rum, but it is not over powering at all. Not sure if this is the cake for young folks but definitely a cake to make for celebrations in your daily world.
How To Make Vegan Coconut Rum Cake
I am so thrilled to be sharing this recipe with you. Surprisingly this cake is a very easy cake to make, but even quicker to eat. Believe me my friends can vouch for this at their Birthday party. I made a delicious Vegan Butter Rum Sauce to go with it and I will include it in the recipe at the bottom. I serve it hot over the Vegan Coconut Rum Cake. Definitely a hit with our friends.
As for the creation of the cake, it is all about the egg replacer. I use Bob’s Red Mill egg replacer. Granted it is only a replacement of one egg it helps stabilize the structure of the cake. This really helps the cake stay firm and moist. Although whenever coconut is used in a recipe it is bound to be moist. This recipe has coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut sugar and shredded coconut. What can I say but “it will melt in your mouth!”
I use white vinegar in this recipe. Being that there is baking soda in this recipe and in the egg replacer it will make the cake bubbly. Do not be alarmed this is supposed to happen when the liquids are mixed into the dry ingredients. This is a reaction when baking soda and vinegar are mixed together. Vinegar also helps the cake to be very moist.
I know it is unusual to have the coconut milk heated up before putting it in the recipe. This is important to help the cake to rise and be even. Also, melting the vegan butter also helps keep the recipe warm before entering the oven.
Making the Coconut Rum Glaze
This has been one of those recipes where I thought I could cut back on some of the fat. No, it really needs the coconut oil to help keep the cake solid or it would get very liquid like and run out of the cake. In this recipe I have cut back on the amount of sugar and type of sugar. I use coconut sugar instead of white sugar in some parts of the recipe. I like the taste of the coconut with the rest of the recipe. Plus, it is not as sweet as white sugar.
There are a wide range of rums to use for this recipe. To each to their own, everyone has their own taste in rum. Although, I have found the Cruzan Black Strap Rum is amazing in this glaze. It is already a sweet full bodied rum and works perfectly in dessert dishes. I highly recommend it.
When making the Coconut Rum Glaze it will look a little grainy from the coconut sugar, but it will be fine. Just keep stirring the sauce until it gets slightly thick. It will look like a lot of sauce to put on the cake but trust me it will be fine. Cut some slits with a knife in the cake while it is still in the pan cooling. Then pour the glaze with a big spoon slowly over the cake. You want it to slowing soak into the cake. If you just pour it on it may overflow the cake.
This cake can be made for many occasions and holidays. If you are sensitive to alcohol just be mindful of how much you eat. Just in case for those who don’t drink it is recommended to tell your guests that it has rum in it. I hope you enjoy this moist wonderful cake as much as we do.
Vegan Coconut Rum Cake
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 2 Large bowls
- 2 Large stirring spoons
- 1 Medium bowl
- 1 Small bowl
- 1 Scraper
- 1 Bundt cake pan
- 1 Small sauce pan
- 1 Cooking stirring spoon
Vegan Coconut Rum Cake
- 3 cups Organic All-Purpose White Flour
- 1 cup White Sugar
- ⅓ cup Coconut Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp Egg Replacer
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 2 cups Unsweetened Coconut Milk, HOT, drinking coconut milk not canned
- ½ cup Organic Vegetable Oil
- ¼ cup Melted Vegan Butter
- 2 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Extract
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ⅓ cup Shredded Coconut, added last after the cake batter is mixed together
- ½ to ¾ cup Chopped Pecans, added to the bundt pan before pouring in the cake batter
Coconut Rum Glaze
- ½ cup Coconut Oil
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk, drinking milk, not canned coconut milk
- ½ cup Coconut Sugar
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ cup (Cruzan) Black Strap Rum, add after glaze is done and heat turned off
Butter Rum Sauce (Optional)
- ⅓ cup Vegan Butter
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- ⅛ tsp Sea Salt
- 5.4oz. can Coconut Cream
- 1 Tbsp Corn Starch
- ¼ cup (Cruzan) Black Strap Rum
Making the Vegan Coconut Rum Cake
- Heat the oven at 350°
- In a small bowl mix the egg replacer and 2 Tablespoons of water and mix together well. Set aside to use later.
- In a large bowl add all the dry ingredients. The organic all-purpose white flour, sugar, coconut sugar, baking soda, sea salt. Mix together well.
- In a medium bowl add the unsweetened coconut milk and heat in the microwave for up to 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl add the unsweetened hot coconut milk, melted vegan butter, organic vegetable oil, white vinegar, coconut extract and pure vanilla extract. Mix well together.
- Add the wet mixed ingredients into the large bowl of mixed dry ingredients. Stir together, but do not over mix. There will be bubbles from the vinegar and baking soda mixing and interacting together. When mixed together added the shredded coconut and mix in gently making sure to not over mix.
- Oil your bundt cake pan and add the chopped pecans to the bottom of the bundt pan. Distributed equally. Then pour the cake batter over the pecans gently so as not to move them around. Distribute the batter evenly. Put it in the oven on the middle rack and cook for 35 to 40 minutes. (To check) Insert a tooth pick and when it comes out clean it is done. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- COCONUT GLAZE
- Heat up the sauce pan on medium heat. Add the unsweetened coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut sugar and sea salt. (Do not add rum yet) Cook the glaze down to melt everything together and thicken a little. Cook for about 4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the Black Strap Rum. Stir it in and set aside.
- With a knife, jab it into the cooked cooled Coconut Rum Cake to create wholes that the glaze can seep down into. With a large spoon, spoon the glaze over the cake that is still in the bundt cake pan. Distribute the glaze slowly over the cake so that it has time to soak in. When done let the cake rest for another 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes of resting the cake, take a large cake plate and place it on top of the bundt cake pan facing downwards. Flip the bundt cake pan upside down so that the plate is now facing upwards. (See the video for details) Your cake is now done. Decorate with shredded coconut and pecans. If you would like to make a delicious Butter Rum Sauce to go with it and serve it hot on top I have the directions below.
Butter Rum Sauce (additional hot topping to serve on cake) optional
- In a medium pan over medium low heat add ⅓ cup vegan butter and ½ cup brown sugar. Cook until sugar starts to melt. Then add 3 Tbsp of maple syrup, ⅛ tsp sea salt and one small can (5.4 oz) of organic coconut cream. Cook all together until hot and blended.
- In a small bowl add 1 Tbsp corn starch and ¼ cup Black Strap Rum. Mix together well with a fork. Add the mixture of corn starch and rum to the hot mixture of sauce in the pan. Stir together until it gets thicker. When done serve on top of the Vegan Coconut Rum Cake.