Honey Butter Fried Figs
This Is An Early Summer Time Favorite Dessert
This easy Honey Butter Fried Figs dish will make a delightful addition as an after dinner sweet. These black figs are so tasty cooked in honey and butter, but of course you will have to taste them for yourself. Don’t forget that these beauties cook down with lots of fig syrup. You can eat them just as they are or over white or yellow cakes, vegan cheese, light flavored puddings or a very nice vanilla ice cream. I am sure you will find your own delicious way to serve them up, but I like them served hot with a glass of Tawny Port Wine.
How To Make Honey Butter Fried Figs
Yes! It is that time of year. I could not wait for these black figs to start showing up in the local grocery store. These are rather large black figs but they will cook up just the same. So don’t worry if they are large. When picking out your figs look for the ones that are firm but a little soft. Sometimes the delicate skin on the figs will start to rub off in spots. I pick the ones with less of those marks on them. This only means that they are starting to ripen. Of course they won’t last long because everyone will eat them up in a hurry. Although, if you have to wait a couple of days before cooking them, then pick the firmer less damaged ones.
When I cook these Honey Butter Fried Figs I use honey. I know many vegans do not use honey but I have a hard time not using it. I do try to use alternative sweeteners but this one is so much better with honey. I buy local honey from the farmers here in Green Bluff Washington to support the local farmers and it is better for us for allergies. Besides the farmers here locally really take care of their bees and feed them the proper food.
We love this wonderful summer time sweet treat and I hope you will like it as well. I will try and create more fig dishes but most traditional dishes in the Middle East and the Mediterranean serve it with meets and interestingly, watermelon. I have not tried that yet. I will have to be creative with my vegan style of dishes and come up with something with these beautiful fruits. Enjoy!
Honey Butter Fried Figs
- 1 Medium sauce pan
- 1 Large stirring spoon
- 1 Sharp knife
- 1 Cutting board
- 1 Serving dish
- 6 to 8 Large Black Figs, cut in half length wise
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 2 to 3 Tbsp Locally Farmed Honey
- Walnut, pieces, optional
- Wash and dry the figs gently. Then cut the figs in half length wise. Set aside.
- Heat medium sauce pan on medium heat. Add the vegan butter. Let the butter melt completely.
- Add the figs with the cut side down. (If it is spitting butter from being too hot turn the heat down a little.) Cook for 4 minutes and add the honey and stir the honey around with the figs. When the figs are slightly brown turn them over. Cook for 1 minute on the skin side. (This helps take some of the color out of the skin to color the syrup and soften the skin side of the figs.) Turn back over to the cut side after 1 minute. Cook for 2 more minute on medium low.
- Turn off the heat. The figs are ready to serve. Serve by themselves with the syrup or on top of white or yellow cake, vanilla pudding, vegan cheese or a nice vanilla vegan ice cream. Top with chopped walnuts or toasted walnuts.