Gluten-free Mexican Cornbread
Authentic Great Tasting Vegan Style Cornbread
This Gluten-free Mexican Cornbread is so moist it is hard to believe it is eggless and dairy-free as well. It is a very traditional tasting savory jalapeño and red chili pepper cornbread topped with your favorite Mexican cheese. One that will go very well with other intense flavored dishes. It is perfect with a robust spicy chili, tacos, Mexican lasagna or enchiladas. I am sure you will find your favorite dish that it will go well with. Make two if you are having company because it will go fast.
How To Pick-out The Cornmeal For Gluten-free Mexican Cornbread
I love a variety of different kinds of cornbreads. This Gluten-free Mexican Cornbread reminds me of being at Cinco de Mayo parties in the military. Wonderful food!
I believe the kicker to this style of cornbread is the texture of the cornmeal. I use a medium ground cornmeal. This leaves a lot of texture. Although it is a little more crumbly with courser cornmeal I like it this way. If you are looking for a more dense version then use a fine ground cornmeal. It is all about how you want the cornbread to complement your main course.
Plus, always look for a non GMO cornmeal. I like Bob Mill’s brand and that works just fine, but I have not been able to find a fine ground cornmeal in his brand where I live. You can find that at a health food store or on Amazon.
You can see in this photo above the texture of the cornbread. This was a rather warm piece of cornbread. As it sits and cools it becomes more dense and the coconut oil saturates the cornmeal leaving it really moist. So depending on how long you let the cornbread sit before cutting into it, it will be less crumbly as well.
How To Make Gluten-free Mexican Cornbread
Corn meal is a natural gluten-free grain. What makes it gluten-free is the flour you pair it with. I use millet in this recipe. Millet can also be found at your health food store and Bob Mill’s brand also has this wonderful flour. Gluten can be a problem for people who have painful joints and millet is a very good choice for gluten sensitivities.
As for being a vegan eggless version of this Mexican cornbread. I use a flaxseed egg. I use 1 1/2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed and 3 tablespoons of water. Mix it together and let it sit to get jellified. It will look a little thick and gooey and then you can put it into the cornbread mixture. This egg substitution really works well as a binder like an egg.
As the flaxseed egg is jelling and getting thicker I make the vegan buttermilk mixture. I use an almond plant based milk for this. You can use vanilla or plan almond milk. Soy milk can work for this recipe as well. Do not use oat milk because oat flour and oat milk can sometimes be contaminated with gluten. When making the butter milk just add the apple cider vinegar to the the plant based milk. It will start to coagulate and look like real buttermilk. It only takes a couple of minutes. This plant based buttermilk also helps the cornbread to stay moist.
As for the cheese on top. I use a Mexican vegan blend to top the cornbread with. It melts really well and taste good as too.
Future Cornbread Recipes
This Gluten-free Mexican Cornbread is my favorite authentic tasting savory, spicy cornbread. It is fun to share it with you. Being that I love cornbread I will be making a variety of cornbreads on this website in the future. I have some Hawaiian and sweet cornbread ones that I am looking forward to making. Of course they have cream corn in them and that is my favorite way to make cornbread.
Until then! I am giving you something to look forward to. I hope you like this recipe as much as we do. Enjoy!
Gluten-free Mexican Cornbread
- 1 Large mixing bowl
- 2 Small mixing bowls
- 1 Small whisk
- 1 Stirring spoon
- 1 9 X 9 or 9½ X 9½ pie dish
- 1½ Tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- 3 Tbsp Water
Plant Based Buttermilk
- 1 cup Plant Based Milk, I use almond
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Medium or Fine Ground Cornmeal, non GMO
- 1 cup Organic Millet Flour
- 2 Tbsp Coconut sugar or Monk Sweetener
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup Creamed Corn, non GMO
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil or Canola Oil melted coconut oil
- 1 Jalapeño, chopped small
- 1 Red Chili Pepper chopped small
- 1 cup Vegan Mexican Cheese, shredded
- Pre-heat oven to 400°
- In a small bowl whisk together the ground flaxseed and water. Let sit for about 5 minutes. It should be jelly like and gooey when ready to pour into the cornbread mixture. Set aside.
Plant Based Butter milk Mixture
- In a small bowl add the plant based milk and add the apple cider vinegar together. Stir it and let sit.
- In a large bowl add all the dry ingredients. Mix well together. Add the flaxseed mixture (flax egg) if it is ready, the plant based buttermilk, cream corn and oil. Mix together and then add the chopped jalapeños and red chili peppers. Mix together.
- Pour the cornbread mixture into a greased 9 X 9 0r 9½ X 9½ inch baking pie dish. Top the cornbread with 1 cup of vegan Mexican cheese.
- Put in the oven and bake for 24 to 26 minutes. Check it at 23 minutes. Insert a toothpick or knife to come out clean to be done cooking.
- Take out of the oven and let rest for 30 minutes.