Garlic Fried Green Beans
A Delicious Savory Side Dish
These Garlic Fried Green Beans are not your ordinary green beans. There are not a ton of recipes for traditional green beans. So doctoring them up with only a few ingredients is a real treat. Green beans are so mild in taste so it is hard not to over power them and not drown them out. I find that this recipe can go with some many other dishes. This is a great side to bring over for dinner parties and BBQ’s and one the whole family will enjoy.
How To Pick Out Green Beans
As I post this it is the end of winter and hard to find really fresh green beans. Fortunately our local store has really fresh produce but still it can be a hit and miss for the really good stuff. I try to get organic everything but I know it isn’t always that easy. To my surprise we have a lot of green beans in right now from California. How with all the snow they are getting, I truly do not know how that is possible. So you may have California green beans!
I find that later in the season most of the top ends of green beans are cut off. I know that the more of the bean there is to see and it looks fresh then it is fresh. Some people cut off both ends of the green beans like I did for this Garlic Fried Green Beans. The long narrow tip at the end does not need to be cut off. It can be eaten. There is nothing wrong with it.
If you find green beans that are small and thin, they are still good. In fact they are either English beans or baby beans. They are very tender to eat and delicious.
How To Make Garlic Fried Green Beans
The trick to this wonderful tasty dish is to have a preheated nonstick frying pan or cast iron pan. I think the cast iron is best. Although, they both work really well. Heat up your pan on medium high and add extra virgin olive oil or if you prefer organic coconut oil. That is one that I suggest. It all depends on what kind of other dishes the green beans are going with. I like the taste of coconut oil and it can be heated at high temperatures. Like olive oil its smoking point is 350 degrees.
I use 6 to 8 cloves of minced fresh garlic. Yes! I love my garlic! If you like less or more then that is totally up to you. You are the chef!
I like to cook the beans for about ten minutes on medium heat after I throw them in the pan. Toss them a lot in the pan at first to get them coated in oil. Then let them sit for about a minute in a half to let the surface of the beans start to cook and brown. Add the garlic in at about the last 2 minutes. Save a little of the fresh garlic to put on top when serving it up if you wish for it to have that extra kick of strong fresh garlic. Just get everyone to eat it with you so that you are not the only one with garlic breath. Ha!
Topping Your Garlic Fried Green Beans
Serve up this yummy dish just as it is or top it with red pepper flakes to kick it up with or fresh ground black pepper. Spice is always your friend. Just don’t put too much. Remember green beans are mild and you still want to taste them. You can also add toasted pin nuts or toasted sliced almonds are also a very nice topper. Plus, let’s not forget a delicious vegan parmesan or vegan sliced smoked provolone cheese. All very nice toppers.
Nutritional Value Of Green Beans
If you are looking to put green beans in your diet just know they are high in fiber, vitamin K, iron and magnesium. It has half the amount of iron as spinach and spinach is high in iron. Surprisingly enough one cup of beans has 2 grams of protein. That is a lot for a vegetable. So dive in and eat up some green beans. Make this recipe and I am sure you will be making it again.
I hope you like this Garlic Fried Green Bean recipe as much as we do. Enjoy!
Garlic Fried Green Beans
- 1 Large nonstick frying pan or cast iron frying pan
- 1 Stirring spoon
- 1 Set of measuring spoons
- 1 Cutting board
- 1 Sharp knife
- 1 Serving dish
- 1 lb Fresh Organic Green Beans
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Organic Coconut Oil
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- 6 to 8 Cloves of Fresh Garlic, minces
- Topping, Red Pepper Flakes or Fresh Ground Black Pepper optional
- Clean the green beans. Cut off any soft or bad looking ends. Wash under cold water in a colander. Pat dry in paper towels. (If the beans are too wet the water will spit out of the frying pan in the hot oil)
Cooking Garlic Fried Green Beans
- Heat the frying pan on medium high heat. Add the extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil. Turn the heat down to medium. Add the green beans. Toss around in the oil to coat all the beans. Then let them sit for about a minute before flipping them to get them browned. Be careful not to burn them. This should take about ten minutes or cook until desired doneness.
- At 10 minutes throw the garlic in with the green beans. Toss them around to get coated in oil and on the beans. Cook for 2 minutes or until they just start to get light brown. Add the sea salt and toss again before taking out of the frying pan.
- Put the Garlic Fried Green Beans in a serving plate. Optional … Top with extra fresh minced garlic, red pepper flakes, fresh ground black pepper, vegan parmesan or vegan smoked provolone cheese.