Diet Vegan Italian Cabbage Soup
This Diet Vegan Italian Cabbage Soup is quit a hit as a diet cabbage soup. As some people know cabbage is the key to detoxing and loosing weight quickly. I know you will not find this one disappointing. I have had many cabbage soups that just don’t cut the mustard in taste. This soup has a lot of Italian herbs and spices to kick it up in robust flavor.
I call this soup cabbage refrigerator soup. I have a main base of ingredients and then add whatever vegetables I like. This Diet Vegan Italian Cabbage Soup helps me use up left over vegetables in the fridge. There is always a base of a large 28oz. can of diced stewed tomatoes, vegetable broth, onions, garlic, green cabbage, celery and carrots. The rest is an add on of what you have in your fridge that needs to be used up. You can toss in broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, bok choy, red, yellow or green peppers, zucchini, kale, red cabbage and green beans.
If you are looking to use this as a cabbage soup diet I don’t recommend grains because that will be counter productive. Plus, potatoes, peas and corn are not on the list as they are also very starchy vegetables. Beans and legumes are very healthy and you could put all these items in there, but they are also not part of the cabbage soup diet. Just add non starchy vegetables.
If you eat this soup for two to three meals a day you will lose weight. I guarantee you will! I ate it for a week and lost 7 lbs. It is perfect for loosing those couple of extra pounds before going on vacation or after the holidays. I don’t recommend more then a week because cabbage can block your thyroid from absorbing iodine. I’m not a medical advisor but this is what I learned on my own research before doing this diet. Even if you just want to make a great tasting cabbage vegetable soup this is a good recipe. I hope you enjoy this Diet Vegan Italian Cabbage Soup.
Diet Vegan Italian Cabbage Soup
- Large 12 cup or larger pot
- Cutting board and knife
- Soup ladle
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium Yellow Onion Diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves Chopped small
- ¾ tsp Dried Rosemary
- ½ tsp Dried Thyme
- ½ tsp Dried Fennel
- 4 Dried Bay Leaves
- 1½ tsp Dried Basil
- 3 Stalks of Celery Diced
- 6 cups Water
- 6 tsp Vegetable Better Than Bouillon
- 1 20oz Can Diced Stewed Tomatoes
- ½ Large Green Cabbage Chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 3 medium Carrots Diced
- ½ Large Red Pepper Diced
- ¼ Large Yellow or Orange Pepper Diced
- 1 small Broccoli Head Chopped Small
- ¼ medium Red Cabbage Chopped into 1 inch cubes
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Red Pepper Flackes Optional
- Salt to Taste
- Heat up a large pot on medium heat. Add the olive oil. When the oil is heated add the diced yellow onion and garlic. Turn heat to medium low. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the dried rosemary, thyme, fennel and bay leaf to the onions. This helps the flavor of the herbs to come out. Do not burn. Stir every 10 seconds until onions start to get glossy.
- Add the celery and stir to coat with oil.
- Add the water, Better Than Bouillon and the can of diced stewed tomatoes.
- Add the chopped green cabbage and carrots, broccoli, and peppers.
- Add the red cabbage, dried basil, black pepper, red pepper flacks and salt.
- Stir and let it come to a boil then turn it on simmer for 40. Cook until it is to the desired doneness to how you like your vegetables.