Chorizo Chimichurri Vegan Pizza
If you like chorizo and chimichurri you will be pleasantly surprised with this Chorizo Chimichurri Vegan Pizza. It is an interesting spicy change then regular Italian pizza. You can make this pizza as hot as you would like. This creation definitely has an explosive amount of flavor. A pizza you will be coming back to explore and making for your family and friends.
Pizza dough is made in so many forms now. I opted for the good old fashion pizza dough when making this pizza. I use less yeast so that it doesn’t rise as much. The dough is easier to spread out when it’s not so doughy. Plus, we enjoy a thinner and less puffy crust.
It wasn’t hard picking a sauce to match up with these pizza toppings. Chimichurri is one of my most used sauces or marinades. The freshness of the herbs adds such a natural explosion of nature in your mouth. I came across my first discovery of chimichurri in Sadona Arizona. I have modified some not so friendly animal recipes to vegan style with this beautiful sauce. If you have never tried it you are going love it, because it is so fresh it is very versatile. I have made it with more oil for this Chorizo Chimichurri Vegan Pizza because it spreads better and goes well with the pizza. If made ahead of time the oil picks up a lot of the flavors in the sauce and even adds more of a tasty punch to the pizza.
The cheese I used was a great find. This Chao vegan cheese with tomato and cayenne by Field Roast is a particular hit with this pizza. It really has a nice strong peppery kick to it. Although you can use whatever vegan cheese you desire. A pepper jack cheese would also go really well, as well as a side of vegan ranch dressing for dipping.
I used Trader Joe’s Soy Chorizo. It has a much better taste to it and very affordable. When using it it is thicker and more like a real sausage consistency than other gooey brands of vegan chorizo that I have used. I hope you enjoy this Chorizo Chimichurri Vegan Pizza.
Chorizo Chimichurri Vegan Pizza
- 2 Large mixing bowl
- 1 small bowl
- Cutting board and knife
- Pizza stone or pizza pan
- Pizza Dough
- ¾ cup Warm Water
- 2 tsp Active Yeast
- 2 cups White Flour or Spelt Flour
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1½ Tbsp Olive Oil
- Chimichurri Sauce
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil Add more if needed
- ¼ cup Fresh Thyme, Fresh Parsley, Fresh Cilantro Chopped fine and packed lightly
- 1 Lg Garlic Clove Finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar or Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Water
- 3 dashes Red Pepper Flacks Optional
- Salt and Black Pepper To taste
- Pizza Topping
- 1 jar Favorite Pizza Sauce Use the amount you like
- spinkle With Smoked Paprika
- 7 slices Field Roast Vegan Chao Tomato Cayenne Cheese or Your Vegan Cheese of Choice Chop small
- ½ Vegan Chorizo Sausage Spread out on pizza with teaspoon size chunks
- 1 sliced Red Onion Organized around the edge of the pizza or thrown on the pizza
- 3 Green Spring Onions Chopped
- Yellow, Red Peppers Cut into rings and organized around the inside of pizza or just thrown on the pizza.
- Chimichurri Sauce ½ teaspoon drops all over the pizza
- Fresh Toppers after Cooking
- 1 sliced Jalapeno Add after cooked as a topping.
- 4 Green Spring Onions Long tales to add as design and taste. Add after cooked as a topping.
- 1 sliced Red Onion Pile slices in the middle of pizza. Add after cooked as a topping
- ¼ cup Cilantro No stems. Greens only. Add after pizza is cooked as a topping.
- Red Pepper Flakes Add after pizza is cooked as a topping. Optional
- Chimichurri Sauce For extra topping or dipping
- For the Pizza dough if you are making it from scratch. In a small bowl add warm water and yeast together to dissolve for 5 minutes.
- Brush the first large bowl with olive oil.
- In second large bowl mix the flour, sugar and salt together together. Add yeast mixture and olive oil to flour.
- Knead dough until smooth. Add more flour as needed.
- Put dough into large first bowl that has been oiled.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place with a kitchen towel over it for 1 hour.
- While you are waiting for the pizza dough is rising make your chimichurri sauce. Add the chopped fresh thyme, fresh parsley, fresh cilantro, finely chopped garlic, red wine vinegar, olive oil, water, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper together. Put in the refrigerator for herbs and spices to mingle.
- Chop up your vegetables for the toppings and get out your spices.(Smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper.)
- When done roll out the dough on a floured surface to the desired size and thickness then spread it out on a pizza pan.
- Have all your toppings and sauces ready.
- Preheat your oven to 450°
- Add the pizza sauce and sprinkle smoked paprika on top of sauce.
- Add all the toppings to put on the pizza while cooking (Vegan cheese, red and yellow peppers, chorizo, chimichurri sauce, chopped green onions and red onion rings) Arrange in design if you wish.
- Cook for 12 to 15 minutes.
- After pizza is cooked. Add the rest of the Fresh toppings. More chimichurri sauce if desired, red onion rings, green spring onion tales, chopped cilantro greens, jalapenos and red pepper flakes.