Zucchini With All The Balance of Italian Cooking
Try my new recipe Balsamic Zucchini With Walnut Garlic Crunch Topping for you next dinner, Holiday meal or BBQ. It is so tasty! The trick is all in how you fry the zucchini. With the added fresh crushed garlic, it will definitely steal your palate. When combining the zip of the balsamic and olive oil to a hint of basil, it starts to hit those Italian nuances that make you love Italian cooking. This is a delightful vegan side dish or compliment to any main course.
How To Make Balsamic Zucchini With Walnut Garlic Crunch Topping
This is such an easy dish to whip up with all those extra zucchini’s from the garden. The trick to frying the zucchini is not to cover them until they are fried and browned on both sides and after you add the balsamic vinegar. Zucchini can get way too mushy and lose their integrity to hold any shape. Frying them in olive oil on medium high heat until they are a little brown is perfect. Flip them over and fry the other side. Then when that side is done browning then add the balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle the balsamic over the zucchini and cover. Check after a minute and then turn over again. Cover and take it off the heat because they will get very mushy.
Now it is time to make that delicious crunchy topping. (I think I come up with these recipe ideas when I am sleeping and hungry in the middle of the night ?.) In a small food processor blend the walnuts until they are small in size, like grape nuts. When done put the walnuts in a small bowl and add the pressed fresh garlic, flaxseed, dried basil, sea salt and black pepper. Mix it all together and this will be the topping. If you have some fresh basil to add as a garnish that would really complement this dish as well.
How To Assemble Balsamic Zucchini With Walnut Garlic Crunch Topping
When putting this dish together I highly recommend cutting the zucchini in long thin slices before frying. It is almost like a long Italian noodle. I like them cut to about a quarter inch thick. This dish is 1 medium zucchini, but the topping is the amount for 2 zucchini’s. This way you can add more topping if you want or serve the rest at the table or to make extra zucchini for the meal.
A long dish works best for a nice display, unless you can figure another way to arrange it. I set the cooked zucchini in a diagonal arrangement on a long narrow dish and sprinkle a little of the walnut topping over it. Then I flipped the zucchini over onto its self in a V shape on the dish and cover it all again with the walnut topping. This makes it have a filling as well as a topping. You can see how this is done in the YouTube video that I made for this dish. This is one of my very own creations and we love it. I hope you Enjoy it as well.Print
I am delighted to share my new recipe of Balsamic Zucchini With Walnut Garlic Crunch Topping. It is so well balanced with so much Italian flare to enjoy. It is so easy and fast to assemble. With all the zucchini from the summer garden this is bound to be a hit for many dinners for the summer and paring up for the up coming Holiday feasts. I hope you enjoy this wonderful dish as much as we do.
- 1 medium large Zucchini
- 2 to 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
Walnut Garlic Crunch Topping
- 1 cup Walnuts, (crushed in processor until small)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Flaxseeds
- 2 to 3 cloves Fresh Garlic, (pressed or crushed and chopped fine)
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt, (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper, (or to taste)
- Clean and slice a medium large zucchini ¼ inch thick the long way.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat. (I use American made Lodge Cast iron Skillets) Add 2 Tbsp of olive oil and spread around in pan. Lay the sliced zucchini on top of the olive oil and top the zucchini with another Tbsp of olive oil. Sprinkle on black pepper over the zucchini. (See directions in video) Brown one side and turn over and brown the other side. Then add the balsamic vinegar sprinkling over the top of the zucchini. Cover and cook for 1 more minute. Turn over again and cook for another minute. Top the skillet with the lid. Turn off the burner.
Walnut Garlic Crunch Topping
- In a small food processor or blender add the walnuts and pulse until they are small. They should be about the size of grape nuts. When done pour into a small bowl. Add the pressed garlic, flaxseed, basil, sea salt and ground black pepper. Mix together well. It should be crumbly.
Assembling The Zucchini to Serve
- Lay the zucchini in a long narrow serving dish diagonally all in a row. Some of the ends of the zucchini may be hanging off of the plate depending on the length of the zucchini and the size of the plate. Sprinkle some of the walnut topping over it. Then fold them over each other in a V shape down the entire plate. Then finish putting the walnut topping over the arrangement of zucchini. See the YouTube video for visual directions.
- If there is more topping left over use it to make more Balsamic Zucchini and add more topping to another plate or serve the remaining topping in a separate bowl to add to your meal.
Keywords: 4th of July side dish, 4th of July vegan side dish, baby shower side dishes, balsamic recipes, Balsamic Zucchini With Walnut Garlic Crunch Topping, basil recipes, bridal shower side dishes, Christmas appetizers, Christmas dinner recipes, Christmas side dishes, Christmas vegan recipes, Easter side dishes, Easter vegan recipes, Easter vegan side dishes, garlic recipes, Italian recipes, New Years appetizers, New Years dinner recipes, spicy saucy vegan, spicy saucy vegan recipes, summer side dishes, Thanksgiving dinner, Thanksgiving dinner recipes, Thanksgiving Italian dishes, Thanksgiving vegetable sides, vegan recipes, vegan Thanksgiving dinner recipes, vegetarian Christmas side dish, vegetarian recipes, vegetarian side dishes, vegetarian Thanksgiving side dish, walnut recipes, wedding side dishes, Zucchini recipes