Best Casserole for Sweet and Crunchy Comfort Food
This Vegan Streusel Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole is no longer just for Holiday meals anymore. Make this all year long. We even like this after dinner as a dessert. Believe me, the whole family will thank you for it! Mix it up and double the topping as well. Bound to be a success!
How to make Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Streusel
This Vegan Streusel Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole is a rather easy dish to make. The time is all in the cooking of the sweet potatoes. They do take a long time if they are large sweet potatoes. I like to boil mine. This recipe had some very large ones, so you probably won’t find them all this large all the time. I like to use 3 1/2 pounds of sweet potatoes. Thats about 3 really large sweet potatoes. Cover your sweet potatoes in water and boil until you can easily stick a fork in them. Make sure you have enough water in the pot to keep the sweet potatoes covered. They can burn on the bottom of the pan if the water gets low.
After the sweet potatoes are cooked drain them completely. I like to put mine in a strainer because it lets all the steam off of the whole sweet potato. This evaporation of steam will help latter when they are cooler because it helps to peel them. The peelings just roll right off.
When I was done peeling the sweet potatoes, I put them in a large mixing bowl. It was hard to use an electric hand held mixer because my sweet potatoes were so big. So, I used a had held potato masher. They work really well if your sweet potatoes are cooked really soft. Although, an electric hand held mixer can do the trick very fast.
Making the Vegan Pecan Streusel Topping
This Vegan Streusel Pecan Topping is the bomb to this sweet potato casserole. It truly is delicious! The trick to the topping is the butter. If the butter is too soft (like it turned out in my video. Ha!) you will have to break it up with your fingers and spread it out. I have made this casserole before where the butter was harder but not frozen and it was more of a crumble topping. Make sure to add the nuts last because it helps it to also be more crumbly.
The magic about this Vegan Streusel Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole is that you can double the streusel and pecan topping. Sometimes I double the chopped pecans or add whole one on top. It is how ever you like it. When the casserole is done and ready to serve I like to top it with powdered sugar and a powdered sugar glaze. This is like a real streusel topping when you add both of these toppings. I hope you enjoy this casserole as much as we do.Print
This has become one of my favorite vegan dishes to have throughout the year. The streusel topping is amazing and not overly sweet. Definitely not as sweet as marshmallows! Although, they are nice I like this version of a sweet potato casserole. The powdered sugar and glaze can be monitored on how sweet you make this after it is ready to serve. Plus an option if you want any sugar on top. Mind you, it is very delicious with all the toppings this way.
- 3 1/2 pounds Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 3 Tbsp Plant Based Milk
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar or Coconut Sweetener
- 4 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar or Coconut Sweetener
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour (add extra for a more crumbly streusel)
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Chopped Pecans
- 1/2 to 1 cup Chopped and Whole Pecans (however much you desire )
- 2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 to 4 Tbsp Plant Based Milk (add extra powdered sugar or plant based milk for thickness)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
Powdered Sugar topping
- 1/2 to 1 cup Powdered Sugar (sprinkle over casserole in sieve )
- Clean the sweet potatoes and put into a large pan covered with water. Boil the sweet potatoes until fully cooked. You can tell if they are cooked with a fork. It should be soft to get the whole fork prongs through the potato.
- Drain the sweet potatoes completely. Let stand for the steam to come off the potatoes to completely cool. This will help you handle them and better to peal.
- Heat oven to 375°
- While the sweet potatoes are cooling make your streusel topping. For a thicker topping you can make double on the streusel topping and pecans. Just alternate the streusel topping and pecans when putting on the toppings.
- In a medium to small bowl add the vegan butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and sea salt. Mix together with a fork until crumbly and then add the ½ cup of chopped pecans. Set aside.
- Peal your sweet potatoes. Put into a large mixing bowl. Add the vegan butter, plant based milk, brown sugar, cinnamon and sea salt. Mix together with a potato masher or hand held electric mixer. Both work very well.
- Oil your 9 x 13 inch baking dish with melted coconut oil or vegetable oil.
- When you are done mixing add the sweet potato mixture to the oiled 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Spread out even and put in preheated oven for 5 minutes to heat.
- After 5 minutes take the sweet potatoes out of the oven and top with the streusel topping. You may have to use your hands to break up the large pieces and spread out over the sweet potato mixture. When you are done spreading the streusel topping sprinkle over the top the extra 1 to 1½ cups of remaining chopped pecans and whole pecans.
- Put in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Make your powdered sugar glaze. In a small bowl add 2 cup of powdered sugar, plant based milk and vanilla extract together and mix until all the sugar lumps are out.
- When the casserole is done let it cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle the powdered sugar over the casserole with a sieve.
- You can add the glaze to the whole casserole or add it to individual servings.
Keywords: casserole, Christmas casserole, Christmas side dish, Christmas sweet potato casserole, glaze, Holiday side dish, pecans, powdered sugar topping, Streusel, Streusel topping, sweet potato, sweet potato casserole, Thanksgiving sweet potato casserole, vegan, vegan streusel pecan sweet potato casserole