Vegan Miso Bechamel Sauce
This Vegan Miso Bechamel Sauce is my personal creation. You can enjoy this beautiful sauce on so many vegetables and dishes. It nicely complements in casseroles and as a topping to healthy grain dishes as well.
When I make this one of a kind sauce I think of what I want the sauce to go with before choosing the plant based milk. Each plant based milk has it’s own distinct flavor. I found that the almond milk is a little sweeter just like coconut milk. If I want this sauce to enhance that kind of a sweetness in the dish then these two choices are perfect. Although, If I want the sauce to reflect more of a savory base to the dish I would pick plain soy milk. I still have yet to try an oat based milk or pea. I think the oat milk would work well with more of a savory base to complement your dish.
This Vegan Miso Bechamel Sauce is a little on the vegan cheesy side. Between the miso, nutritional yeast and vegan butter it has a subtle rich taste to it. It is a mild richness but still a nice resemblance to vegan cheese. If you want it to stand out with more of a cheese taste then add more of the nutritional yeast and less nutmeg.
I make this sauce in a variety of ways. You can make it thick like in the photo or runny. Just add one less tablespoon of the potato starch. This will help it be more runny. When made like the recipe it will be thick and ounce it cools it will be even more thick. So serve it up hot! This is a sauce that will stick to your ribs.
I use chives for this recipe but you can use other herbs as well. I like to use green onions in it or if I use it for an Italian meal I will to use dried basil and a pinch of sweet marjoram and half the amount of nutmeg. Just add in the same amount as what is used for chives and trade it out for other herbs. I hope you enjoy this Vegan Miso Bechamel Sauce
Vegan Miso Bechamel Sauce
- Medium sauce pan and spoon
- Large bowl
- Cup and fork
- 2¼ cups Plant Based Milk
- ¼ Lg Onion
- 2 tsp White Miso
- 1½ Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- ½ Tbsp Chives Chopped
- 2½ tsp Nutritional Yeast
- 6 Dashes Nutmeg
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 2 Tbsp Potato Starch
- In a Medium sized pan on medium low, heat 2 cups of plant based milk.
- Add ¼ large onion chopped into large pieces.
- Add white miso, nutmeg and bay leaves. Cook for 30 minutes on low heat making sure to stir every couple of minutes
- After 30 minutes strain the sauce through a sieve into a large bowl. Take the sauce in the large bowl and put it back into the medium sauce pan. Put it back on the stove and heat on medium low heat.
- Add the lemon juice, nutritional yeast, chopped chives and vegan butter. Mix in with a spoon. Continue stirring until heated through.
- Mix together in a cup ¼ cup of plant based milk with the potato starch. Mix with a fork to get all the lumps out and then add it slowly to the sauce as you stir it in. This will help it get thicker. Once it's thicker it is ready. Serve hot.