Vegan Mediterranean Farro Salad
Add a little lite and refreshing Vegan Mediterranean Farro Salad as a side to any soup or main course meal. Its fantastic with hummus, chips, falafels, pitta bread or on top of mixed greens. It can even take the place of salad dressing because of all the herbs and vinegar in it. Just pile it on.
This is one of my all time favorite salads. It really takes the cake in well rounded flavor. I just love it! I top it on a mixed greens salad with extra cucumber, kalamata olives, red onion or spring onion and spicy hummus. I like it also on chips like a Mediterranean salsa. Just cut everything extra small. It can be extra lite in calories as well. The olive oil is optional. I think the oil really mingles up the flavor and enhances the herbs. Herbs always do better to bring out flavor when added to oil. Pick a really rich green in color olive oil. This will give it an extra zip as well.
Making Farro for Vegan Mediterranean Farro Salad
Farro grain has been around for hundreds of years. It is an ancient grain derived from Mesopotamia. Farro is a wheat species and does contain some gluten. So people with celiac disease can be sensitive to this grain. I am a little sensitive to gluten but it does not seem to bother me. I am grateful because I really love this salad.
I like to get my farro from Trader Joe’s because it’s just the right amount for my family. Surprisingly it is very fast to cook. It only takes 10 to 12 minutes on the stove top. Way faster then rice. I cook it in vegetable broth because it really gives it a woodsy rich flavor. It is great in soups as well and takes on a lot of vegetable taste.
What you will need for Vegan Mediterranean Farro Salad
It seems as if there are a lot of ingredients to this salad but believe me the more the better. I find that the more variety the more well rounded the flavor is on your palate. Like using a full cup of diced mixed bell peppers. Honestly you can’t go wrong. Add in whatever variety of bell peppers that adds up to one cups worth. Besides it adds a beautiful array of color to the salad.
If you have been following my recipes you know that I use this vegan feta cheese in so many of my dishes. It is so good and I have to say I really miss cheese and this feta Violife fills that in for me. It’s so good. It is optional but I like the salty taste it gives the dish. The kalamata olives and capers also deliver that extra salt, but all of it added together is really nice together. I really hope you enjoy this Vegan Mediterranean Farro Salad as much as I do.
Vegan Mediterranean Farro Salad
- Cutting board
- Large mixing spoon
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Medium cooking pot with cover
- 1¼ cup Farro cooked as directions on bag
- ½ cup Chickpeas
- ⅓ cup Red Onion chopped
- 1 cup Mixed Bell Peppers chopped
- ½ cup Cucumbers chopped
- ½ cup Cherry Tomatoes chopped
- ⅓ cup Vegan Feta Cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup Katamata Olives chopped
- 2 Tbsp Capers
- 2 Cloves of Garlic minced small
- ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil optional
- ½ tsp Dried Basil
- ½ tsp Dried Dill
- ½ tsp Dried Oregano
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- In medium cooking pot cook the farro. When done drain and cool in the fridge.
- In a large bowl add all the copped vegetables, katamata olives, capers, chick peas, minced garlic and cooled farro. Mix well together.
- Add the crumbled vegan feta cheese. Mix together again. But not too much so as not to squash the feta.
- Add the red wine vinegar, olive oil, herbs and salt. Mix gently together well. Put in the refrigerator for flavors to mingle until ready to serve.