Vegan Korean Bulgogi Kimchi Fries
What A Fantastic Combo Of Flavors
Who would have thought that this explosion of exotic flavors with Vegan Korean Bulgogi Kimchi Fries would have paired off so well. This is where vegan, French and Korean all sit at one table in one plate or better yet a large platter. Place this dish right in the middle of the table and watch them disappear because this dish is that good.
How To Make Vegan Korean Bulgogi Kimchi Fries
This is a very easy dish to make and well worth it to make over and over again. These Vegan Korean Bulgogi Kimchi Fries are put together in layers just like nachos only with fries instead of chips. First buy your favorite french fries or make them. I prefer to buy them, because it is a lot less work. Before cooking in the oven I spray them with a little olive oil. Then I sprinkle them with smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and salt. Then I bake them in the oven according to the instructions on the bag.
As for the meat, I have discovered the miracle of the vegan plant based meat called Beyond Beef. It is just so amazing! It really responds to cooking as if you were cooking real ground beef. Now we can substitute this great meat substitution for all our old favorite dishes. I am really excited about this product. It really taste great too! I just cooked down one full package of Beyond Beef just like I would with cooking tacos. The liquid just evaporated and took on a beautiful full saturated taste of the marinade. Worked like a charm! You are going to love it!
Making The Korean Bulgogi Marinade and Korean Gochujang Mayo
To save time this vegan Korean Bulgogi marinade can be made ahead of time. This recipe only needs 30 minutes to marinade but longer is always better. The flavors really start to mingle the longer the marinade sits. The ingredients are in the recipe below. The only ingredient that can be hard to find is Mirin. If you can’t find it then it can be substituted with sake, rice wine vinegar or sweet marsala. If you use sweet marsala then omit the brown sugar. The recipe will be too sweet if you use both. I used the a substitution of rice wine vinegar because Mirin is hard to find in my local country area.
As for the Korean gochujang mayo recipe. It is just all up to you in how hot you like your food. I put a heaping measurement of 4 over flowing tablespoons of gochujang sauce in my mayo. I could actually use more. Sometimes we add sriracha sauce as well to the mayo to give it that extra boost of heat. Although, the heat in the gochujang sauce is a little spicy. Taste it and see what you like for your taste in spicy heat.
The toppings are delicious so pour them on. The kimchi is critical to get a really good brand so ask at your grocer for the best kind. There really are so many brands. The roasted nori seaweed crumbled on top is my favorite part but each person is different on their taste. The seaweed is optional. I will be exploring with more of these wonderful cross culture dishes. I hope you enjoy these Korean Vegan Bulgogi Kimchi Fries as much as we do.
Vegan Korean Bulgogi Kimchi Fries
- Cutting board
- Sharp chopping knife
- 2 Medium bowls
- 2 Small bowls
- Stirring spoon
- 1 Large frying pan
- 1 Wooden spoon
- 1 Small frying pan
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 1 Large baking type dish to marinade in or a large zip lock bag
Korean Bulgogi Marinade
- 3 Tbsp Water
- 2 Tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos or Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar or Mirin, I use rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Toasted Sesame Seeds
- 5 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Ginger, grated or minced
Vegan Meet and French Fries
- 1 160z. package Beyond Beef
- 1 28oz. to 2lb Bag of Organic Frozen French Fries
- spray Olive Oil, on French Fries
- sprinkle Smoked Paprika, on French Fries
- sprinkle Garlic Powder, on French Fries
- sprinkle Onion Powder, on French Fries
- sprinkle Sea Salt, on French Fries
- sprinkle Ground Black Pepper, on French Fries
- 1⅓ cup Vegan Mayonnaise
- 4 to 5 Tbsp Gochujang sauce
Topping for Vegan Bulgogi Kimchi Fries
- 2 cups Kimchi
- ¼ cup Green Onions, sliced
- ¼ cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 1 package Toasted Nori Seaweed, torn into bits
- 2 Tbsp Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Sriracha, optional
Korean Bulgogi Marinade
- In a medium bowl add all the marinade ingredients, water, Bragg's Liquid Aminos, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, toasted sesame seeds, minced garlic and grated ginger. Stir all together.
- In a baking dish add the Beyond Beef and chunk it up into pieces and pour the marinade over it. Put in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.
- While the marinade is marinating make the gochujang mayonnaise. In a small bowl add the mayonnaise and the gochujang sauce. Mix together well and put in the refrigerator.
- If you don't have toasted sesame seeds now is the time to toast them up in a small skillet over medium to medium low heat. Toss the seeds around while they brown. They toast up fast so watch them carefully, when done put into a small bowl. Set aside to assemble for the main dish.
- Chop up your green onions and cilantro for topping. Set aside for assembling the main dish.
Spicing The French Fries
- Heat the oven according the temperature on the bag of French fries.
- On a cooking sheet spray the French fries with olive oil or organic vegetable oil. Sprinkle the French fries with the smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Put into oven and cook according to directions that the French fries came in.
Cooking the Korean Bulgogi Marinated Vegan Meet
- While the French fries are cooking start cooking in a large skillet the marinated Bulgogi vegan meet. Turn the heat to medium and let the meet cook down until firm solid crumbles start to fry up. It will be runny at first but all the liquid will cook off of it. Should take about 13 to 15 minutes.
- When the meet is done cooking put it into a bowl and cover to keep warm. Set aside until everything is done. After French fries are done it is time to assemble your plate of fries or a very large platter for people to help themselves with.
Assembling the Vegan Korean Bulgogi Kimchi Fries
- Make sure you have all your items to assemble out and ready to make.
- First on the plate put the French fries on then the vegan marinated meet, the kimchi, the gochujang mayo, toasted seaweed, cilantro, green onion and toasted sesame seeds. Plus extra hot sauce or sriracha if desired. Enjoy!