Toasted Pumpkin Seed Spread
A Delicious Nutritious High Protein Alternative To Hummus
This Toasted Pumpkin Seed Spread is an unusual recipe of pumpkin seeds, fried garlic, lime, lime zest, smoked paprika, soy sauce and spinach. Along with some other punches to give it that amazing unique flavor all of it’s own. This is all done with a bit of frying garlic, grating, squeezing and popping the rest in the food processor. This small entire dish has 72 grams of protein. This is the vegan body builder staple food. Give this yummy tantalizing recipe a try and let me know how you like it. I’m sure it won’t be disappointing.
How To Toast Pumpkin Seeds
Toasting the pumpkin seeds for this Toasted Pumpkin Seed Spread is one of the main reasons this dish is so good. Just pop these seeds in a heated skillet on medium heat and spray them lightly with an olive oil or avocado cooking spray. You can also add a little salt if you’d like. Then toss them around every 20 seconds or so for about 7 to 8 minutes. They should be starting to turn a little light brown in color and pop and snap a little. When they are light brown turn off the heat and take them off the burner. Quickly put them into a bowl or food processor. They will continue to cook if you don’t get them out of the skillet. Perfect for this recipe or just eating.
Frying Garlic For Toasted Pumpkin Seed Spread
This recipe has 10 cloves of garlic or two whole bulbs of garlic. I know it sounds like a lot but it really gives an umami taste and it’s so good. Turn your burner on medium heat and in a medium skillet add 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of vegan butter. Add to minced garlic and turn the burner down to low. Cook the garlic until it is light gold and then add it to the food processor.
How to Make Toasted Pumpkin Seed Spread
This Toasted Pumpkin Seed Spread is really all about getting the flavors together in the right mix for your taste buds. For instance I use Yondu instead of soy sauce. It is a organic vegetable, organic soy essence, shiitake mushroom and yeast umami flavoring. I replace most of my recipes now with this organic fermented vegetable blend. You can find it on Amazon.
When making this recipe do not skip the lime zest. It makes a lot of difference in the taste. It might sound like a lot to add 3 to 4 limes but honestly if you don’t have very juicy limes you are going to need 4 of them and the zest.
I do think the flavor in this recipe is important to add the nutritional yeast. It gives it a little bit of a cheesy taste which goes so nice with the garlic and smoked paprika. So just add all the ingredients to the food processor and mix until it is somewhat of a grainy texture.
Everything should be well incorporated so make sure to keep cleaning the sides of the food processor. Scrap them down at least three times and keep blending until it looks like the picture below.
What To Eat Toasted Pumpkin Seed Spread With
This spread is just so delicious and chuck full of protein I could eat it for every meal. I like eating it with a multi grain cracker, organic toast, pumpernickel bread, celery sticks, carrot sticks, veggie burger, add it to stuffed mushrooms or stuffed peppers with vegan cheese and lentils. This dip is so rich in protein it is worth the effort to putting it into your recipes and seeing what it goes with. Really the list goes on. I am sure you will find your own favorite way to enjoy this dip. Please remember it for the Christmas Holidays. It’s just the perfect look in colors for the holiday spread.
In the future I will be making more of a variation of this pumpkin seed spread. Pumpkin seeds are packed full of nutrition and very beneficial to your diet. I can foresee these recipes for my keto vegan e cookbook that I will be bringing out on my website later this year.
I hope you like this recipes as much as we do. Enjoy!
Toasted pumpkin Seed Spread
- 1 Food Processor
- 1 Large skillet
- 1 Stirring spoon
- 1 Medium skillet
- 1 Cutting board
- 1 Sharp knife
- 1 Scraper
- 1 Set of measuring cups
- 1 Set of measuring spoons
- 1 Serving plate
- 1 Small serving spread knife
Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 cups Raw Shelled Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 can Spray Olive Oil or Avocado Oil, lightly spray the pumpkin seeds
Pan Fried Garlic
- 10 Cloves of garlic or 2 garlic heads, minced
- ½ Tbsp Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1½ Tbsp Yondu or Soy Sauce
- 1½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- Zest of 2 Limes
- 5 Tbsp Lime Juice (about 3 to 4 limes), I use 3 juicy ones
- 2 tsp Rice Vinegar
- ⅓ cup Water, add slowly if needed
- 1 Hand Full Of Spinach
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
Toasting Pumpkin Seeds
- In a large skillet on medium heat put the 2 cups of pumpkin seeds in and roast for 7 to 8 minutes or until lite brown. Lightly spray the pumpkin seeds with olive oil spray or avocado spray. Toss the seeds around every 20 to 30 seconds. Remove from the skillet right away and add to food processor.
Pan fried Garlic
- In a medium skillet on medium heat add the organic extra olive oil and vegan butter. When melted add the minced garlic. Toss around and lower the heat medium low. Continue cooking and tossing around until they are light brown. When done add the garlic to the food processor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor. Add only half of the water. Mix all the ingredients all together. If it looks too thick add more water a little at a time. Scrap the sides and mix again. Keep doing this until you have the right consistency. (make sure to keep scraping the sides of the food processor)
- Put in a serving dish and garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds, cilantro, sliced red peppers and smoked paprika. Enjoy!