Sweet Potato Chili Burgers
These Sweet Potato Chili Burgers are a perfect Vegan main course. Stack it up high with two of my favorite sauce recipes, Spicy Ketchup and Sriracha Mayo. The spice in this burger can warm you up in the cold of winter or a nice summer barbecue. It’s so good that even non vegan’s will enjoy it.
I played with this recipe for quite some time. I created the perfection in this recipe to now put my name on it. This burger can be mixed out with different types of beans. You can use black beans instead of pinto beans or add a mixture of black bean, pinto, white beans of choice, chick peas, and kidney beans. This mixture really sticks together well and makes a very nice tasting burger. I chose to use chick peas, pinto and white northern beans because they are our favorite beans for this burger.
If you love sweet potatoes you are going to love them in these burgers because they add such a nice texture and sweetness. The sweetness really complements the chili and cumin. Plus, they help hold the veggie burger together well. The burgers have to be held delicately when forming being careful not to squish them. When they cook up they do become a little firmer. I use corn meal to coat the outside of them. Do this after forming so that it leaves a crisper coating on the outside and they are easier to pick up.
Pour on the sauce on this burger! I have a recipe for the Spicy Ketchup that you can find on this blog. We love the maple syrup in this recipe because it is not very sweet. I use 5 Tablespoons in the burger mixture but you can use regular vegan ketchup. If you enjoy spicy food the Sriracha Mayo is a must try. I will have it in with this recipe down below. I hope you enjoy these Sweet Potato Chili Burgers as much as we do.
Sweet Potato Chili Burgers
- Large frying pan or oven
- Large mixing bowl with spoon
- Food Processor
- 1 15.5 oz. can Chick Peas
- ½ 15.5 oz. can Pinto Beans
- ½ 15.5 oz. can White Northern Beans
- 1 cup Baked Sweet Potato
- ½ cup Sliced Green Onions
- 5 Tbsp Spicy Ketchup or any Ketchup
- ¼ cup Cilantro chopped
- 2½ Tbsp Chili Powder
- 3 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1½ tsp Cumin
- ½ Tbsp Dried Oregano
- 5 Tbsp Buckwheat Flour
- 3 Tbsp Corn Meal
- ½ tsp Hot Pepper Sauce Of your choice
- 1½ tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- In a food processor pulse together all the beans making sure not to over process them.
- Add the Spicy Ketchup, hot sauce. chopped soft sweet potato, cilantro and chopped green onions.
- In a separate bowl add all dry ingredients and mix together buckwheat, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, salt and black pepper.
- Mix together the bean mixture with a large spoon or by hand. Making sure not to squish to ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients slowly
- After it's all mixed, shape into burger size patties being ¾ inch thick. Should make 4 large burgers or 20 to 25 small nuggets. After they are shaped place then in a corn meal covered plate. Coat the patties lightly on both sides and a little on the the edges.
- Sit in the refrigerator for 1 hour or over night.
- Cook for 15 minutes on each side on medium heat in an oiled frying pan. Watch so that they do not burn.
- You can also bake them on a large baking sheet covered with parchment paper at 375°to 20 to 25 minutes on each side.
- 1 cup of vegan mayonnaise or a mayonnaise of your choice and 1 to 2 Tablespoons to your amount of heat of hot Sriracha sauce. Mix together well and serve on your Sweet Potato Chili Burger or on the side with Sweet Potato Chili Nuggets.