Spicy Cabbage Steaks
A Vegan Style Vegetable Steak
These Spicy Cabbage Steaks are a quick and easy way to make a very tasty side to any meal. Cabbage has so much flavor on its own and with this recipe spice combo it really gives it a delicious extra boost. Impress your family and dinner parties with these beautiful thick slices of roasted cabbage. With a hint of smoked paprika and cayenne pepper it really has a delicate bite of spice. This really gives a nice balance with fresh and dry Italian herbs.
Cleaning And Cutting The Cabbage
I like to buy a pretty firm green cabbage for this recipe. Spicy Cabbage Steaks can fall apart when cutting and cooking if they are soft and wimpy heads of cabbage. I clean them under cool water and take the outer flimsy leaves off. Then I pat them dry with a paper towel. This will help the oil to stick to the cabbage and help it brown while roasting in the oven.
I cut my cabbage down the middle when cutting my slices. I then determine how thick they will be by working with cutting the slices from starting with the inside out. That way I know how thick I can make my slices and try to make them all even.
I like to cut my slices to about 1 inch thick. Some people like them a little thinner like a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. I only like them this thick because the cabbage is still a little crunchy on the inside when eating. If you like the Spicy Cabbage Steaks a little more soft after cooking then cut them a little thinner. They will get brown faster when they are cut thinner. You will have to watch your roasting time.
Adding Spices To Spicy Cabbage Steaks
There are many ways to make these cabbage steaks and you can make them quite simple without using many spices. Although, you know me I like my spice! But! First we have to oil the baking dish. There seems to be a lot of oil in this recipe but it helps the cabbage stay soft and brown nicely.
I like to use Extra virgin olive oil or vegan butter. We are going to put more oil on top of the cabbage steaks after they are in the pan so just use enough to cover the bottom of the pan about 2 tablespoons. Add the cabbage slices to the pan. Top the slices with oil first then the spices that I have listed below. If some of them are to spicy then leave some or all of them out. It is still really delicious without the heat. Do not add the oil after the spices because they will lift and float off or sink into the cabbage.
Baking and Serving Spicy Cabbage Steaks
When I bake my cabbage steaks I put them on the middle rack at 400 degrees. Cabbage is a pretty tough vegetable so they take a little while to cook even at that temperature. I cook mine for 25 minutes or sometimes a little longer until they are getting brown on the edges. I recommend checking them at about 23 minutes. My cabbage steaks have cooked up to 30 minutes before. It all depends on the heat of your oven every stove is different.
I like to serve these cabbage steaks in a platter and arrange them overlapping each other a little. They almost look like big beautiful flowers in the platter. They are very pretty as a center piece for dinner. I also garnish them with the left over thyme twigs and I have used roasted red peppers in the past. They are so tasty with this cabbage and the color is a beautiful complementary color together.
As for a topping that is up to you. I have had them with a homemade Italian dressing or a garlic aioli on the side. Both were very good but honestly it doesn’t need any topping, but if you are wondering thats what I would serve it with. I hope you like these Spicy Cabbage Steaks as much as we do. Enjoy!
Spicy Cabbage Steaks
- 1 Large baking pan or lined cookie sheet
- 1 Large cutting knife
- 1 Cutting board
- 1 Set of measuring spoons
- 1 Large spatula
- Paper towels or clean hand towel
- 1 medium Tight Head Of Green Cabbage
- 4 to 6 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Vegan Butter, melt the butter before putting on the cabbage
- ¼ tsp Onion Salt
- ⅛ tsp Smoked Paprika
- ⅛ tsp Garlic Powder
- ⅛ tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Organic Dried Basil
- Sprinkle of Cayenne Pepper, optional
- Fresh Thyme
Clean And Prepping The Cabbage
- Wash the head of green cabbage under cool water. Take off all the wimpy outer leaves. Dry the cabbage with paper towels or a clean hand towel.
- On a cutting board with a large sharp knife cut the cabbage in half. Then cut each half starting from the cut side out. Cut the cabbage to about an inch in width or less. (Like the photos above) You should get about 6 to 7 slices. Set aside.
Making The Spicy Cabbage Steaks
- Heat the oven to 400°
- In a large baking pan or parchment lined cookie sheet add about two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Place the cabbage steaks over the top of the oil in the pan. Add about ½ Tablespoon spoon of extra virgin olive oil or vegan butter to each cabbage steak.
- Add to the top of each steak the exact measurement listed above to each steak. Repeat the same measurement on top of each cabbage steak. If the peaces of cabbage steaks are small ones on the ends of the cabbage use less spice.
- Put the pan of Spicy Cabbage Steaks in the pre-heated oven. Roast for about 23 minutes. Check to see how brown they are. I like them at 28 to 30 minutes but you can go longer to 40 minutes if you like them really roasted brown but make sure to check on them so that they do not burn. You may need to spray the tops with extra oil if they look too crispy brown.
- Take out of oven and transfer to platter and arrange slightly over each other. If desired! Garnish with roasted red peppers and or fresh thyme twigs.
- Can serve with homemade Italian dressing or garlic aioli on the side. Wonderful just as they are!